Monday, September 13, 2010

Do You Know the Monkey Man & Yes, I Know the Monkey Man

Dori Butler is a local Coralville author, that I have recently become familiar with. After becoming an elementary librarian last year, I came into contact with my first set of the Iowa Children's Choice books. Butler's first book Do You Know the Monkey Man? was on the ICCA list prior to my becoming a librarian, since her second book Yes I Know the Monkey Man is on this year's list I decided to read the first one.

This was a wonderful book that is actually set in Iowa. A young girl, Sam is searching for her father, who left when she was only three years old. She goes to see a clairvoyant and is told that her twin sister, who drowned when she was three is still alive. This statement leads Sam on the search of her life to find not only her dad, but her twin sister as well.

I can't really talk about the second book without giving away a lot in the first, but I can tell you that both of these books are fantastic reads for adults and children. The fact that it is set in Iowa, makes a lot of the places hit home for any Iowa reader.

Give them a look and also check out Dori Butler's website and see her other books as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment